Vacation Bible School! Mark it down – VBS next week at Petersburg First Baptist Church! We kick it off Sunday, July 9, and go through Thursday, July 13, 6:00 – 8:30 each evening. All children from those who will be entering Kindergarten this Fall through those who just completed 6th grade are welcome to come.
So here’s a top 10 list of reasons why your children should be in Vacation Bible School next week at First Baptist Church.
10. Recreation. Not the super-competitive dodge ball style you played in 3rd grade on the playground, but fun-for-everyone games. And water games are always a hit.
9. Crafts. I can remember some of the crafts I did as a kid in VBS, and that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away! Make sure you ask your children about the crafts they’re doing each night, and I’m sure they’d love to tell you about the things they’re making.
8. Missions. Integral to who we are as a church is a focus on world missions. So we’ll incorporate ways to help your children learn about the ways God is using ordinary people with a passion for Christ to take the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth.
7. Not as late this year. We’ve modified our schedule to conclude each evening at 8:30 rather than 9:00, which means everyone gets home sooner and hopefully gets a better night’s rest, which is good for a long week of VBS.
6. “Galactic Starveyors: Discovering the God of the Universe.” That’s this year’s theme, where your children will search the skies and God’s Word to uncover God’s truth. They’ll discover that the God who created everything there is – the knowable and the unknowable, the visible and the invisible – wants a relationship with them!
5. Church van. If your children need a ride, please call the church office at 632-2488, and we’ll be happy to add them to the van route.
4. Family Night. Parents, grandparents – plan to come at 7:00 Thursday night for family night, where the children will present some of the songs they’ve learned throughout the week, Bible verses, as well as highlights you’ll not want to miss. Children love to have their parents come for things like this.
3. Snacks. Essential VBS fuel. Enough said.
2. Music. We’re going to miss Sarah Holliday not being here this week, but Rachel Warren is eager to teach the children some great new songs, and kids love to sing. They may even drive their parents crazy singing these catchy tunes for weeks to come, but it’s all good. Just smile, parents, and be glad they’re not singing Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry, or Drake or Rihanna, or well, the list could go on and on. So just smile.
1. Jesus. The number one reason your children should be here is Jesus, because He’s the reason any of us are here in the first place. Go look up Colossians 1:15-16 (you can even Google it!) and you’ll discover the supremacy of Christ in all things. That’s our theme verse, and the week’s Bible story teachings will center around the good news that Jesus came to be our Savior.
Parents, our church has been praying for your children as we’re preparing for VBS. Your family will know that we care deeply for you with the love of Christ and that we design all that we do to lead you to faith in Jesus. Feel free to call the church office at 632-2488 for more information. Hope to see you then!