Translate

Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Revolution

I want to be part of a New Year’s Revolution. Resolutions come and go too easily. Even though they’re made they’re seldom kept for more than a few weeks, or maybe only days. If I had a dime for every good intention I’ve had that never amounted to anything, I could almost afford to fill up my car with gas. I really don’t need to make any more resolutions. I need a revolution.

I want to be a part of a spiritual revolution – a movement of God’s church being the body of Christ in spirit and in action. Not just for a season, but for a lifetime. I want to be a part of the next great spiritual awakening in our land.

I want to see God’s Spirit working in the lives of unbelievers to convict them of sin and to convince them of their need for a Savior. I want to see people from all walks of life, from all sorts of checkered pasts and troubled homes find the sweet forgiveness that Christ Jesus offers. I want to see hard-hearted old men and bitter old women find freedom from sin’s bondage. I want to see single moms who struggle to make ends meet discover that God is a gracious provider. I want to see the affluent couple who thinks they have it all realize that the riches of God’s grace in Christ Jesus far surpass the wealth of this world. I want to see the coolest kid on campus get saved and become a fool for the sake of Christ. I want to see the outcast and the nobodies and the lonely and the hurting experience the security of belonging to the family of God. I want to see the girl who for all of her life has been told how ugly and unwanted she is to know that Jesus cares for her and loves her with an unconditional, unfailing love, a love that He demonstrated for her when He died on the cross for her sins.

I want to be a part of a revolution in 2008.

I want to see the Holy Spirit raise up stagnate Christians from their slumber and fill them up with a fresh fire for the Kingdom of God. I want to see the church of Christ being transformed daily into more and more of the image of the Savior. I want to see her growing in the Word of God, being strengthened in the fellowship and unity of the Spirit, and striving toward obedience to the commands of God. I want to see the church caring unselfishly for the needs of one another. I want to see the church giving generously to the work of advancing the gospel. I want to see God’s people using their spiritual gifts to build up the body of Christ so that Jesus may be glorified in her in every way.

I want to see her get sick of being lukewarm. I want to see her truly repent from her apathy and indifference toward her calling. I want to see her get serious about taking the message of the gospel unashamedly into her community. I want to see the light of Christ shine so brilliantly and unmistakably through her that everyone even to the uttermost parts of the world will see the glory of Jesus in her.

I want her to start loving the things that please the Father and hating the things that He hates. I want her to take a stand for righteousness and truth in a culture awash in immorality and godlessness. I want her to be bold in the power of the Holy Spirit and proclaim the truth of the gospel no matter what the risks or consequences may be. I want her to quit worrying about what people think and start caring about what God thinks.

I want to see the church calling passionately and purposefully upon the name of the Lord in 2008. I want to see her on her knees in prayer for the lost. I want to see her pleading daily with God to send out more workers into His harvest fields. I want to see her interceding continually for missionaries both at home and overseas. I want to see her praying for her pastors, Sunday School teachers and other leaders who have been entrusted with great responsibilities in the work of the gospel.

I want to see her standing in the gap for the oppressed, the underprivileged and the unborn. I want to see her ministering in the name of Christ to those who need the touch of the Master’s hand. I want to see her loving like Jesus in word and deed, action and truth. I want to see her laying down her life for her friends. I want to see her demonstrate the mercy and compassion and grace and forgiveness of Christ to the least of these. I want to be part of a revolution in 2008.

Lord, let it begin in Ridgway, IL. Glorify Your name, O Lord, and may Your Kingdom come and Your will be done here in our very midst.

Do you want to be a part of it? Come on!

No comments: