Translate

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Draw Me, Dear Jesus

There's a great hymn that's probably too often neglected in the music of the church today. Actually, there are probably many of them we don't sing anymore that would teach, encourage and inspire us in the Lord richly. But I'll have to reserve that line of thought for a different day.

The hymn "Be Thou My Vision" is one I find echoing my own prayer before God. Here's the first line:

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art:
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

That's what I want - the presence and the vision of the Lord to be my guide, to be my light. Nothing else, but Christ and Christ alone.

The third stanza:

Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art.

Is that not the desire of all who seek Him? That Christ Himself be our greatest treasure? I'm not looking for men's applause or the temporary trappings of popularity or riches in this world. I want to lay up treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves can never break in and steal.

There are some rich truths found in this hymn that lead me to lift up my hands in praise of the One in whom I know will answer - and has answered - this prayer.

Dr. Butler's Hymnology class in seminary provided an assignment where we were asked to write a hymn. What follows is my humble classwork attempt to express my own prayer using the same tune as in "Be Thou My Vision," the tune SLANE, a traditional Irish melody. It is a prayer of faith, hope, endurance and love, based much off of Psalm 63 and Hebrews 10.

"Draw Me, Dear Jesus"

Draw me, dear Jesus, to Thy wounded side
Knowing that safely in Thee I abide
Sheltered in shadows of rest in Thy wings
Grant me firm faith as my soul to Thee clings

Holding unswervingly, Lord, unto Thee
For every promise of Thine comes to be
Surely Thy blood on the cross paid my price
Grant that this hope be my anchor in Christ

Spurring each other toward love and good deeds
Led by Thy Spirit we gather, agreed
Turning, encouraging hearts to Thy way
Grant us endurance to live for the Day

Better than life is the love of our King
Purer than all of the praises we sing
Higher than all of the heavens above
Grant us a cup of Thy unfailing love

No comments: