Translate

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Earth Is the Lord's

Do you remember as a kid looking at the clouds and trying to identify shapes or objects? I remember many times lying down in the summer grass and watching the clouds above take on the forms of dragons and elephants and all kinds of unique and imaginary figures. Some weren’t too plain, but it was fun watching them go by.

I loved being outside. I’m no outdoorsman, but as best as I can recall most of my waking hours as a boy in the summer were spent out playing baseball, riding bikes, riding motorcycles, swimming, shooting BB guns and just running around. My Dad took us fishing and mushroom hunting. Our family took camping trips to several of the state parks within a short driving distance.

Maybe I didn’t learn to appreciate the beauty and complexity of nature as well as I should have, but I always enjoyed it. Perhaps now I’m more awed by creation’s splendor though I don’t spend as much time outdoors as I did then. Things like gnats and allergies didn’t exist back in those days.

My family and I saw the movie “Earth” a couple of weeks ago. It’s a DisneyNature film. I guess you’d call it a documentary, with James Earl Jones providing the voice-over. Not sure I’d recommend dropping the cash to see it in the theater, but at least I’ll say that the photography was stunning.

The viewer is treated to beautiful oceans, snow-capped mountain ranges, colorful forests and desert plains. We journey along with a great multitude of flocks and herds, whales, polar bears and birds of the air. With the magic of time-lapse footage we see the four seasons change in a few moments, flowers bursting form in full bloom and the aurora lights dancing across the northern skies.

And one can’t help but marvel at the wisdom, power and artistry of earth’s Creator. It’s a shame the movie didn’t give credit to the Maker and Sustainer of heaven and earth. It’s hard to believe how anyone could produce or watch such a fascinating display of earth’s majesty and not fall down in reverent worship before the God of all creation. How utterly foolish to think that such an incredibly complex and dynamic work as our world and everything in it could have simply happened by chance!

“The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein, for he has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers” (Ps. 24:1-2).

“Where you there when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements – surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38:4-7).

“Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth” (Isa. 40:28).

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” (Gen. 1:1).

“All things were made through him [Jesus], and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3).

“For by him [Jesus] all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible…” (Col. 1:16).

“[Jesus] is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power” (Heb. 1:3).

“The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork” (Ps. 19:1).

Why not venture outside today and spend some time discovering shapes in the clouds – and marveling at the Creator of all things. The invitation He gives us to know Him could not be any plainer.

No comments: