Translate

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Coming Through in the Clutch

When the game is on the line, who do you want at the plate? Down by one, runners on first and third, two outs, bottom of the ninth. If you could choose any player from any team to step into the batter’s box, who would you take?

This summer I had the privilege of helping to coach my son’s baseball team. If I had a dollar for every time we won this season I’d be flat broke. We’re still working on things like knowing which base to throw the ball to, when you can force a runner out and when you have to tag him, and not swinging at pitches over your heads. We were pretty much out-sized and out-skilled by all our opponents, but I think our boys gave a great effort. I hope they had fun playing and I hope they learned the game, at least a little.

If our team was down by one in the bottom of the ninth and I could have any player I chose up to bat, I would want the kid who would be most likely to take a walk, or hope that he’d get hit by a pitch. But in the Bigs, who wouldn’t want Number 5 from the Cardinals at the plate with the game on the line? Nobody’s going to come through like Albert Pujols. The guy’s an amazing hitter and a terrific clutch performer – without the aid of steroids, I might add. I wonder if I’d be a better preacher if they came up with some PED’s I could take (Preaching Enhancing Drugs)?

If you watched the Major League Baseball All-Star Game from St. Louis, you probably saw how good of a baseball player Pujols is. I’m writing this before the game, so I’m predicting a single and a home run from Albert, though the American League will win its 13th in a row.

But did you know that Albert Pujols is also a devoted follower of Jesus? You may not hear the announcers highlighting that about him, but I want you to read the testimony he has written on his website.
It’s quite a lengthy statement of his faith along with an invitation to trust Jesus as Savior. Here’s a portion of his post:

People have said, “Albert, I would give anything to be able to play baseball like you.” They may look at my abilities and think that being a great baseball player is the goal of my life. Believe it or not, baseball is not the chief ambition of my life. Becoming a great baseball player is important to me, but it is not my primary focus. Because I know the Hall of Fame is not my ultimate final destination.

My life’s goal is to bring glory to Jesus. My life is not mostly dedicated to the Lord, it is 100% committed to Jesus Christ and His will. God has given me the ability to succeed in the game of baseball. But baseball is not the end; baseball is the means by which Dee Dee and I glorify God. Baseball is simply my platform to elevate Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. I would also rather be known as a great husband and father than an All-Star baseball player. Perhaps one day I could be honored with an invitation into Baseball’s Hall of Fame. That would certainly be a boyhood dream of mine come true, but it is a far greater honor that one day I will be in heaven with God to enjoy Him forever.

How do I know that I will spend eternity with God in heaven? It goes back to the original discussion – Faith. The Bible says, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.” It is my faith in Jesus Christ’s work in my life that grants me eternal life with God. Nothing more, nothing less. That’s why the mission of this Foundation is “Faith, Family, and Others.” It is because our faith is at the heart of everything we are and everything we do.

Wow, now that’s a life lived for the glory of God! Friend, even with Pujols at the dish with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, down by one, you’re not going to win every time. He’s not always going to knock it out of the park. But our God is always faithful and true. His word will never fail you. His mercies never come to an end. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. When eternal life is on the line, why not turn your life over to the One who will come through in the clutch for you?



No comments: