Translate

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Show Me the Works!

Maybe the question should be: “What does it mean to believe in Jesus?”

People often say they believe in Jesus, but a quick look at their behavior, their speech and their attitudes shows they really don’t know what believing in Jesus means. They’re not concerned to obey Jesus’ commands, they’re not careful with the words they use and their hearts are full of bitterness, criticism and selfishness.

That’s not what it means to believe in Jesus.

Suppose you and I were having a conversation and we both said, “I believe it’s going to rain today.” When we left I grabbed my golf clubs and headed to the links. You went out to roll up your car windows. Which of us really believes it’s going to rain?

Just because someone says he believes in Jesus doesn’t really mean that he believes in Jesus. Talk is cheap. A mental acknowledgement of the historical fact that there once lived a good man named Jesus, a man who called Himself the Son of God, who was crucified on a Roman cross and rose on the third day – what’s it worth? The Bible says that even the demons believe. So what?

Show me the works! Show me that your faith in Jesus compels you to good deeds. Show me that because you’ve been forgiven in Christ you freely forgive others who have wronged you. Show me that because the Truth is in you your lips speak the truth instead of lies. Show me that because of Christ’s love in you your love for others is evidenced by compassion and kindness. Show me that because of the new life Jesus gives you your speech is no longer unwholesome and corrupting but helpful and instructive in building others up. Show me that because of the living hope of an eternal inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading that you have been given by the mercy and grace of God you rejoice greatly in the Lord rather than fret needlessly over the temporary trials of the day.

Show me that because you’ve been born again your life is no longer marked by malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander, but by your craving for the Word of God and your hunger for holiness. Show me that because of what the Prince of Peace has done for you and how the Spirit of peace lives in you you’re filled with a peace that passes all understanding. Show me that because God is your provider you don’t worry about what the unbelieving world worries about, but you seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, knowing that all these things you need will be given to you.

Show me that you walk by faith and not by sight. Show me that you rejoice as you share in Christ’s suffering, that you count yourself blessed when others insult you for the name of Jesus, and that when you suffer as a Christian you praise God that you bear His name. Show me that because Christ died for you you’re no longer living for yourself but for the One who died for your sake and was raised. Show me your works!

Now make sure you understand that I’m not saying that we are saved by our works. You can not do one single thing to earn salvation. Jesus has done it all. But what I am saying is this: if our faith is real our salvation will result in works of righteousness as the life of Christ flows through us. The Bible says, “Faith without works is dead” (James 2:26). The late, great, singer-songwriter Rich Mullins said it this way: “Faith without works is like a screendoor on a submarine.” Useless, and dangerous!

To put it as simply as I know how, believing in Jesus means trusting Him and obeying Him as we let Him live His life through us. The result will be great glory to God and great gain to us. Are you believing in Jesus? If not, will you repent of your sins right now and turn in faith to Christ?

No comments: