Translate

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Staying Focused and Thankful

OK, I admit that I’m ready for summer. You remember when you were in school, and how hard it was to stay focused on your assignments when the weather started warming up? You started dreaming about your summer plans – playing baseball, going fishing, swimming, riding bikes, taking vacations, camping trips, just playing outside, or whatever. You started mentally checking out of school long before the bell rung on the last day of class. Teachers, you know I’m talking about your students, right? Not you, your students.

Well, I’m not in school anymore, but I’m there. We have some exciting things coming up this summer, and I’m ready for them.

One is Vacation Bible School. We’ve moved the dates back this year to July 11-16. Parents, you might want to put the newspaper down right now and take your red marker and circle those dates on your calendar. We’re hoping to see a great display of children from throughout the community learning about Jesus and coming to know Him personally through faith.

This year’s theme is “Saddle Ridge Ranch,” so round up yer cowboy hats and get ready to mosey on down to the ranch for VBS. We’re planning a special promotion event on July 8, and we’ll send out more details as the time draws near. Parents and grandparents, we would cherish the opportunity to show your children the love of God at this year’s VBS.

Then on Sunday, August 15, we’re excited to be celebrating Ridgway First Baptist Church’s 120 year anniversary. Some of you might remember when our first worship services were held back in 1890. If not, come anyway and help us rejoice in what God has done in us and through us and for us the past 120 years. And join us in the joy of anticipating His faithfulness for the next 120 and longer – or until Jesus comes again, whichever comes first.

I think it’s going to be a fun summer. Of course, on a more personal level there’s baseball and T-ball for our boys, which takes up pretty much all of May and June. T-ball games start this Saturday, May 15. If you’re looking for some cheap entertainment, come out to the ballpark Saturday mornings and watch the little ones chase the ball all over the field. It can be quite the show.

In July my youngest brother is getting married, so we’re looking forward to the wedding. And my mom and dad are looking forward to their 27-year-old son moving out of the house! That’s not entirely true, I don’t think. The nest is soon to be empty after nearly 39 years of teaching their four young to fly. No doubt there will be tears of joy mixed with a hint of sadness.

On his bride-to-be’s side the emotions will also be running high. Her brother had a motorcycle wreck over a year ago that nearly killed him. Instead he was left with severe brain damage and has been in and out of hospitals and rehab facilities ever since, needing constant care. He has made some significant improvements and shown some encouraging signs of recovery, and he’ll be in the wedding party.

July also brings some vacation time, and my boys are already eager to go, as are their parents. We’re hoping to visit with friends and family, as well as having a little time away by ourselves. There’s always something healthy and refreshing about getting away for a while, then coming back with renewed energy.

So I’ll try to keep focused on my current assignments before summer comes, and stay locked in when it does. I am so thankful for the many, many, countless blessings of my heavenly Father. His grace and mercy is simply overwhelming. I know I don’t deserve such kindness from His hand, but He’s been so good to me. When I think about my family and my church, all I can do is love God and pray that I’ll be faithful with all He’s entrusted to me.

And when I think about the immeasurable love of my Father who sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross in my place, to forgive all my sin and give the gift of everlasting life to all whose faith is in Him – I sometimes feel that my heart might burst with gratitude and joy. To God be the glory, great things He hath done!


No comments: