Translate

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Praise from A to Z

One of my favorite chapters in the Psalms is 145. I preached from this chapter my next to last Sunday in Ridgway, then (don't tell anyone) again in Petersburg this past Sunday. The more I read it and meditate on it, the more my heart rises in praise to and adoration of our mighty and compassionate God.

This psalm is an acrostic poem, using the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet to begin each verse. In an attempt to express my own praise to the Lord, I've come up with this offering modeled after the psalmist's poetic work.

Able, God, You’re able
There is nothing You can’t do

Blessed Lord, my Father
Hear my song of praise to You

Compassionate forever
O, how caring toward all men

Deliverer eternal
How You’ve saved me from my sin

Everlasting, evermore
Your kingdom shall endure

Faithful God, so faithful
All Your promises are sure

Gracious God, in Jesus
Blessings pour out from Your heart

Holy, Holy, Holy
Lord Almighty God Thou art

Incomparable, unparalleled
O, who is like You, Lord?

Just, in perfect justice, God
You give each his reward

King of kings, in glory
In majestic, wondrous fame

Lord of lords, one day will
Every tongue proclaim Your name

Merciful and mighty
You are loving, yet so strong

Near to those who cry out
You’re the Help for whom we long

O, the One and Only
Son of God, my Savior, Friend

Prince of Peace, Almighty God
Your praise will never end

Quickly to my rescue
Lord, You come and satisfy

Rock of my salvation
God, Your name I glorify

Savior, blessed Savior
Jesus, stronghold for the weak

True and truly lovely
You’re the treasure that I seek

Unfailing is Your love, O Lord
You never lead astray

Victory is sure to those
Who follow in Your way

Wonderful Your counsel
By Your Word I walk in light

Excellent Your Spirit
Your sweet presence day and night

Yahweh, at Your holy name
I’ll bless You all my days

Zealous for Your glory
May the whole world sing Your praise

No comments: