Translate

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wise Men Still Seek Him

I’ve done some dumb things in my life, from the mildly ill-advised to the really stupid. When the Bible speaks of the “wise men” from the east, it doesn’t list my name.

Last year I hung up the icicle lights on the front of the house (after finally getting them untangled) before I checked to see if they worked. My thinking was that since they all worked just fine last year, they ought to light up nice and pretty this year. Some did, some didn’t. It looks pretty bad when only a few random sections light up. So after much labor and frustration in trying to figure out a fix, I gave up altogether and we had the only house on the block that looked like we boycotted Christmas.

Failing to check the lights before you hang them up falls in the ill-advised range.

Under the really stupid, well I don’t have nearly enough space to describe them. However, a few years ago my wife started keeping a journal of all the really stupid things I’ve done, so when the book comes out you can read it for yourself.

I’ll share one, for fun. Just over a year ago I was out riding bikes with my two boys. For some unknown reason once in a while I get the urge to try to show off. Which is really stupid, because I was never any good at doing bike stunts when I was 12, let alone doing them at 39. Nobody’s impressed anyway with a grown man popping a wheelie or doing a bunny hop on his Wal-Mart special mountain bike.

But on this particular occasion I was pedaling down our gravel driveway with a pretty good head of steam. Maybe I wanted to see how far I could skid when I hit the brakes. That’s pretty cool to a couple of young boys, right? But instead of applying just the rear brake I hit both front and rear together. Not sure what I was thinking on that one.

There wasn’t much skidding when that front brake locked, and I found myself flying over the handlebars and crash landing headfirst in the rocks. Wasn’t exactly what I’d planned. Thankfully I was able to walk away with only minor cuts, scrapes and a bruised ego. But walking into our church association’s annual meeting that night with taped up hands and scratched face while being introduced as the new moderator was a little embarrassing. And to top it off, the kids were not impressed in the least.

That one went in the journal.

We’ve all done some dumb things in life. Some reckless, some foolish, some that didn’t matter much and some that leave us with lifelong regrets. You can’t undo what’s already been done. But you can choose to live from this day forward in the way of wisdom or in the way of foolishness.

The Bible spells out the two paths we can take. Consistently the Scriptures describe the wise man as being one who fears the Lord and walks faithfully in His commands. The fool is the one who says in his heart, “There is no God,” and who does not follow the ways of the Lord.

Jesus makes a statement in Matthew 7 concerning these two ways to live. He says, “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock…And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand” (Mt. 7:24, 26).

Both endured severe storms, but only the wise survived. When it comes to your life, are you living wisely or foolishly? That is, are you living in obedience to the Word of Christ, or not?

Even the “wise men” from the east followed the star they were given to find Jesus. The light’s shining now for you, dear friend. Follow it! Maybe you’ve done some really stupid things, but Jesus offers you new life. Wise men still seek Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to ask Amy about the journal at Christmas, but I don't want her passing the idea along.

Rob Gallion said...

I'm sure she'd be more than happy to share