Translate

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Once For All

The little Baptist boy went with his young Catholic friend one Sunday to the Catholic church. It was quite different from what he was used to. With nearly every thing the priest did and every symbolic act, he would ask, “What does that mean?” And his friend would explain why they did what they did.

The next Sunday the same two boys attended the Baptist church together. Like his friend the week before, the Catholic boy was curious about what was taking place. At one point during the service the Baptist preacher stepped up to the pulpit, took off his watch and laid it down on the pulpit in front of him. The Catholic boy asked, “What does that mean?” The Baptist boy responded, “Oh, that don’t mean nothing.”

Seems preachers are always getting a ribbing for long sermons. Personally, I don’t even wear a watch, but the church here is kind enough to have a big clock mounted directly in my view at the back of the sanctuary. Like that could stop me.

This past Sunday I’m sure I preached for 40 minutes. Maybe more. And believe me, I could have gone longer. I love studying God’s Word. If I had three hours to preach I’m sure it would not be enough to adequately showcase all the gems found in the text.

But don’t worry. I’m not actually planning to go three hours this Sunday. Just know that I could. Which really ought to make you thankful for 40 minute sermons. This past Sunday morning I mentioned there were five areas in which I believe the church at large has compromised with the culture in distorting the grace of God and denying the lordship of Jesus Christ. I only got to one. Hopefully we’ll get to the others soon. 

But there’s another point I should have expanded on from the text that I didn’t get to. We were looking in the book of Jude and focusing in on verses 3-4. Here’s verse 3: “Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.” I can’t re-preach the entire message here (unless you’ve got 40 minutes to spare), but I want you to take note of the phrase “once for all.”

This phrase is used at least six times in the New Testament referring to Jesus’ once and for all sacrifice for sins. It means there’s no other sacrifice ever necessary. You can’t add anything to it nor subtract anything from it. His death is all-sufficient for the forgiveness of our sins, our redemption and righteousness. Nothing else is needed.

In Jude verse 3, this phrase means that the gospel of our faith which has been delivered to the people of God is likewise all-sufficient. There’s no other word needed. You can’t add anything to it nor subtract anything from it. God’s Word, His truth, His message as delivered in the Holy Scriptures is fixed and complete.  

In our day, as Jude’s day and as in many generations before and since, it seems certain people want to edit the Bible to fit the times or their preferences about God or to justify their lifestyles. So they, in effect, take a Sharpie and mark through the things they don’t agree with, and write in the margin the things they want it to say. Friend, may I warn you from the Word of God that is dangerous and deadly ground. 

The authority of the Bible is not up for discussion or debate. It’s not a document to which we need add amendments, edit for content or alter in any way. Rather, it is true and unchanging, pure and holy, living and active, convicting and enlightening. And it’s able to make you wise unto salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

May the saints of God take the responsibility to cherish the Word of God dearly, study the Word diligently, live out the Word obediently, teach and preach the Word boldly, and fight for the faith untiringly.                      

No comments: