Translate

Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanking God for His Word

Do you remember as a child singing the song, “The B-I-B-L-E”? We still sing this with our Kids Klub on Wednesday nights sometimes. I think it’s a great song.

It goes: “The B-I-B-L-E / Yes, that’s the book for me / I stand alone on the Word of God / The B-I-B-L-E!” Pretty simple tune, pretty simply lyrics. Maybe that’s why I like it. I’m pretty sure that’s how I learned how to spell the word “Bible” many years ago. But even more, this song gives us a good reminder that God’s Word alone is the foundation upon which we stand and base our hope.

And so, in this season of Thanksgiving, I thank God for giving us His Word.

I praise God for so many other blessings, too. I thank God for a wife who is loving and faithful, manages a pretty ornery household and directs a pretty mean church choir. If you don’t mind I’m going to put a plug in for our Christmas Cantata coming up Sunday, December 16, at 10:45 a.m. We previewed one song for the church this past Sunday and we’re planning another one this coming Sunday night during our 5:00 “Hanging of the Greens” service. If you don’t already attend church, then we invite you to come anytime, but especially on December 16 to hear the choir.

The Bible says in Proverbs 18:22: “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.” I say Amen, and thank you, Lord, for such a good thing!

I thank God for our two energetic boys. The Lord has given me greater insights into His own fatherly compassion for people as I raise and lead these precious gifts. I’m so not adequate for the job, but by His grace I’m helped. And I’m blessed, and thankful.

I thank God for His church. We’re not perfect, but we belong to the One who is. Christ Jesus is building His church. He’s using some pretty raw material, granted, but He knows what He’s doing, and it’s coming along just fine, thank you. There’s great joy and friendship in the fellowship of the church, and I’m grateful to be a block in the building.

There are so many other blessings for which I’m thankful. I don’t have room enough to begin counting them all here. Okay, I’ll begin anyway, randomly. Loyal and genuine friends. Fellow pastors and ministry partners in the work of the gospel. Creation’s beauty. Small town charm. Big city vibe. Good coffee. Reliable internet access. Old hymns. New worship songs. Chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for dinner.

And the list could go on and on. But central to my gratitude for all these joys in life is the Word of God. The Bible is universal, unchanging truth in world of constant change and chaos. God’s Word informs my understanding of His character and His ways. The Bible reveals God’s goodness and mercy, His promises and provision, His faithfulness and His love. God’s Word shows us the pathway to the storehouse of God’s richest blessings, and all who walk in it find the way of abundant and eternal life.

The Bible tells the story of Jesus, God’s salvation offered to mankind to those who believe in Him as Savior and Lord. And therein lies hope for the hopeless, joy to the downtrodden, peace to the burdened and rest to the weary. In Jesus we find comfort for the afflicted, healing for the broken, redemption for the wayward and love for the outcast.

In Jesus there is forgiveness for all our sins, past, present and future. In Jesus there is victory over sin and death and hell. In Jesus there is the assurance of everlasting life, the promise of dwelling forever and ever in that place where, “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

I thank God for His Word that gives me this blessed assurance in Christ. Yes, the Bible is the book for me. I stand alone on the Word of God, the B-I-B-L-E.

No comments: