Translate

Monday, July 21, 2008

Dropping In and Rocking Out

So the music was loud. Guitars were screeching. Drums were pounding. Voices were ringing. Hair was flying.

It was the Drop In and Rock Out Tour featuring the bands Philmont, Our Hearts Hero and High Flight Society. And professional freestyle skateboarder Tim Byrne.

Yeah, I wish I would have brought my earplugs. I didn’t catch most of the lyrics anyway. But as I sat and watched about 50 young people crowded around the stage, God moved in my heart to pray for them. And He moved in me to devote myself to the obedience of evangelism and discipleship.

Some of these students were probably not saved. They may have heard of Jesus and known about Him. But they didn’t know Him as the Savior of their souls from the clutches of hell. They didn’t know Him as the Lord (the “Boss” as Tim Byrne said) of their lives. No doubt many of these students were living for themselves and not for the One who died for them and was raised from the dead (see 2 Cor. 5:15). I pray that God will prepare their hearts to receive Jesus, believing in His name.

Others have likely made “professions of faith” but aren’t sure about living out what they say they believe in front of their friends and family. It’s one thing to stand for Christ in their youth groups, and another to stand boldly for Jesus at school. Jesus said this: “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven” (Matt. 10:32-33). I think this group includes a ton of people – students and thousands of adults alike. They’ve signed the card, they’ve walked an aisle, they’ve prayed a prayer…but have they truly repented of their sin and let the Spirit of Christ reign in their lives? I wonder, and I pray that God will make them into wholehearted followers of Jesus.

And some in this motley crew of young people were certainly saved and sold out to the gospel of Christ Jesus. What an opportunity to allow God to use them to witness in the power of the Holy Spirit among their friends! A young person on fire for the Lord can make an impact in his or her world more than most adults ever will. I pray that God will keep them strong in His grace, loving, merciful, humble, teachable, useable, zealous and obedient to the faith.

No, it wasn’t exactly my style of music. But I believe that God can take these guitars and skateboards and use them for His glory. Tim Byrne gave a mighty testimony for the Truth last night. I pray that the students heard Him. I know I did.

No comments: