Translate

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Child-like Faith, Simple Songs of Praise

“Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.”

“Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.”

Aren’t these some of the most beautiful songs you’ve ever sung? Go ahead, sing them out loud. If you’re by yourself right now, sing from your heart to the Lord. If you’re sitting there and others are in the room, invite them to sing along with you. It’ll let the light in.

Here’s another one I remember singing: “My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do. My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do. The mountains are His, the rivers are His, the stars are His handiwork, too. My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do.”

There was a book written several years ago entitled, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. I didn’t read it, and I can’t recommend it. But I’m intrigued by the title. Some of the most helpful lessons in life might just be the things that we learned as small children. Share everything. Play fair. Look both ways before crossing the street.

And some of the simplest songs and most familiar Bible stories we learned as young children might just be the most helpful of all.

Of course, there’s so much more to learn about God than these songs teach. We can’t stay as spiritual infants and toddlers and expect to be able to experience the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. We must grow and mature in the Lord, in wisdom and understanding and knowledge of His will. We must move on to solid food, constantly using the truths of God’s word in to stand strong against sin and to build others up the body of Christ.

But aren’t you thankful for the simple songs that have to please the heart of God when sung from the hearts of His children? Isn’t it a child-like faith that God wants from us?

“And they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, ‘Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.’ And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them” (Mark 10:13-16).

Let’s not complicate the matter. The only way to experience the kingdom of God is to receive it with the faith of a child. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

You might say it’s all childish stuff but of no value in today’s real world. I’ve got news for you, friend: “The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Cor. 1:18). And I’m just foolish enough to believe it, because I’ve seen what the power of God can do. I’ve seen what love the Father has for His people. I know the indescribable joy and supernatural peace that comes from the assurance of His promises. I’ve experienced His goodness, His mercy and His grace.

And even as I grow stronger in Christ Jesus, I’ll continue to sing the songs that helped lay the foundation of my faith all the way to heaven: “Praise Him, praise Him, all ye little children, God is love, God is love. Praise Him, praise Him, all ye little children, God is love, God is love.”

No comments: