Translate

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Memorizing Psalm 63

OK, so nobody took up the challenge to memorize Psalm 100 last week. At least no one who came to church on Sunday ready to recite it before the congregation. I'm telling you, there's something special about committing the Word of God to memory. The effort alone of allowing His Word to sink into your mind and your heart is worth it!

So here's the new challenge I laid out Sunday before the church: Memorize Psalm 63. Yeah, I know, this one has eleven verses, whereas Psalm 100 only has five. No problem, I know you can do it.

And it will be a great blessing not only to you personally, but to the church corporately. Not to draw attention to yourself, but to show that God's Word is to be treasured highly, and to show that through His Word God reveals Himself, His purposes, His plans and His ways to us.

The Scriptures are "more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward" (Psalm 19:10-11).

Psalm 63 (NIV)

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

They who seek my life will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals.

But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God's name will praise him,
while the mouths of liars will be silent.

No comments: