Translate

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Keeping the Rubber Side Down


Finally, the mystery has been solved.

Right around Christmas I walked into the church and found in my office a Tyco remote controlled Harley Davidson motorcycle. A dark aqua colored plastic and rubber 80 cubic inch replica of the genuine article. Gently used, but nice. Already I was picturing myself cruising on the open road.

The attached handwritten note on a small sheet of white paper read simply: “Rob, Keep the rubber side down.” The giver left his or her initials, as well – “KD” or maybe “KS” if you took the letter S as in cursive.

But who? That was the question. Who in the church has the initials KD? I checked the directory and came up blank.


It’s no secret that I often dream out loud about wanting to own and ride a motorcycle. It’s come up a time or two in a sermon. In warmer weather months I hear right across the street from our house that distinctive Harley engine revving up, and I race to the window just in time to see my good neighbor getting his bike out and ready for a ride. I know you’re not supposed to covet your neighbor’s stuff, but it’s okay to dream, isn’t it?

KD, or KS? Who could that be? I brought the toy bike to an evening service the last Sunday of the year to see if anyone knew who may have left it here. There were no new leads. Nobody confessed to seeing anything, nobody heard nothing and nobody knew nothing. Sounds like a line in “The Godfather” to me.

If it were KS, then it could be Kristi Seely, a generous and fun-loving gift giver. But why would she have had an R/C Harley Davidson motorcycle? And I could be wrong, but I just can’t imagine her using a line like, “Rob, Keep the rubber side down.” Besides, it really didn’t look like a woman’s handwriting.

Anyway, the line is a good one. “Keep the rubber side down” is a pretty good piece of advice. I guess in biker lingo it’s saying, “Be safe,” or “Don’t crash!” Keep the tires on the ground. If not, things will not be well for you. Which is why my caring wife has consistently and vigorously expressed her reservations about my open road ambitions. Which is why I will never actually own a motorcycle, except for in my dreams.

Here’s another pretty good piece of advice: “Keep the faith.” My college roommate used to use this line often as a way to encourage others to hold firm to the faith we profess in Christ Jesus, and not to crash spiritually. He may have had in mind these verses from Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”

That path may not always be the “safest” way to go, for it is a narrow road filled with trials and hardships, persecutions and sufferings. But keeping the faith, trusting wholeheartedly in the Lord and walking in the center of His will is always the safest place to be. There you will never crash and burn, but will be held eternally secure in the strong and mighty hand of Almighty God. And that path will lead straight to heaven, for it is by the grace of God through faith in Jesus – faith in Him alone – that we enter into the presence of the Father. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes unto the Father but by me” (John 14:6).

Let me give you a special invitation to join us for revival services March 14-17. I am so looking forward to how God will use this time to show us His glory, and for us to respond in faith and obedience. Will you make plans to worship with us?

So, who’s KD? I found out a couple of weeks ago, but just for fun I’ll keep you guessing. Until next time, keep the rubber side down, and keep the faith!



No comments: