Translate

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Resolving to Be Men of Courage

When my wife purchased for me last fall the book, The Resolution for Men, I must confess that my first thoughts were a bit defensive. I’ve been married for 18 years. I’ve been a dad for 12 years; 15 if you count our first dog. What do I need this book for? Am I not a good enough husband? A good enough father? A good enough man?

Isn’t that kind of like giving Phil Mickelson a Golf Digest instructional video on improving your short game? Or signing up Mark Zuckerberg for a computer class at the local community college?

What a stinking, terrible, arrogant attitude! Talk about a revelation of pride. How could I even begin to imagine that I had somehow “arrived” at a point that I had nothing more to learn? That I didn’t need to continue to grow as a man, a father or a husband? If this was already as good as it was going to get, then I really haven’t learned anything.

Usually I love to learn. I’m always reading a book on preaching (believe it or not!) or church health or something that will hopefully help me become a better pastor. I’m willing to learn to play the guitar better. I want to be in the gym more to work on my jump shot. But learn to be a better man? I thought I’d figured that one out.

The funny thing is, after I’d finally decided to open up the book and at least see what the authors had to say that I was convinced I already knew and didn’t need, I quickly realized how much I didn’t know and how much I really needed this. That’s humbling. Man, I have so far to go!

This is a powerful book that boldly and unapologetically challenges men to “man up” in a culture that has mocked and undermined the God-given responsibilities of manhood and fatherhood. Allow me to quote from the opening chapter:

“Our generation desperately needs courageous men to step up. We need men who will not be swayed by the culture or afraid of criticism. We need men who are resolved to lead their families no matter what. We need men to teach sexual purity to their sons and daughters so that more children won’t enter the world without married parents. We need men who stick to their marriage vows and cry out for God’s help to love their wives rather than giving up during difficult times.

“We need men who refuse to sacrifice their families for the sake of a promotion at work. Men who refuse to let entertainment eat up all of their time and deaden their consciences. Men who will speak out against laws and philosophies that are destroying families. Men who will forgive their dads, break the chains of the past, and set new standards. Men who will pray for their pastors and revival in their churches and make decisions that will strengthen the next generation. We need to be these men. And we need one another!” (p. 21).

I don’t know about you, bro, but I want to be a better husband, a better father, a better man. By the mercy and grace of God, by the power of Christ in me, I want to learn and follow through on resolving to be a man of courage.

If that resonates with you, I invite you to come along with us on a journey to live for what matters most. On Friday night, March 9, we’ll be showing at the First Baptist Church the recently released movie, “Courageous,” which spawned this book my wife bought for me. If you’ve already seen it, come see it again. If you haven’t, then I promise you it will be worth your time. Be watching for details, but go ahead and mark your calendar. March 9, 7:00 p.m. We’ll even provide childcare. Call and let us know.

I yearn for greater faithfulness as a husband, a father and a man, and I want the same for you. Men, let’s resolve to be courageous!

No comments: