Translate

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Heaven's Hope for Life's Breakdowns

My lawn mower gives me fits. Not that I’ve used it much lately, but it has rained just enough to make the weeds grow up nice and pretty. So I got the mower out for only the second time since early June. That time was to knock down some weeds, also.

I think “fits” fits the description for my reactions to my mower’s tribulations. There’s a laundry list of breakdowns and meltdowns we’ve gone through together. Admittedly, I’m to blame for some of the misfortunes, like when I thought I had enough clearance to mow over the water meter cover. That’ll mess up some blades pretty quick. And I guess not changing the oil or air filter often enough isn’t good for an engine either.

About three years ago I was all set to junk it. Every time I tried to start it all I’d get was some huffing and sputtering and a thick cloud of black smoke. So I had a friend help me haul it a local small engine mechanic he uses. The guy took a fast look at it and went off on all things Briggs & Stratton. As I recall he didn’t like much of anything that wasn’t Kohler or Craftsman. He said it was shot. 

I didn’t know any better. So I was ready to bite the bullet and spring for a new, or at least less abused used, mower. But before I said my final good-riddance, my neighbor came over to look at it. And would you know that for a $4.99 fuel line cut-off valve and some fresh motor oil, he had the silly thing running again? 

That’s the same good neighbor that also helped me out when a pin snapped and a wheel came off when I was mowing one day. And the one who, when I tried and failed to fire it up for the first time one spring, suggested I jump start it. Man, I’ve been ready to call it dead for a long time, but it keeps doing the Energizer bunny thing on me. 

For the record, I need to add that this mower was given to me seven years ago by my brother-in-law. He said he had to get rid of it due to allergies with the grass at their new house, but I think it was to prevent a different kind of headache. I shouldn’t complain. It was free for the pick-up, and I’ve used it a lot. It’s been a good investment. 

So last weekend, after again jump starting the mower, I was zipping around the yard trimming weeds, when at a stop to pick up a stray dog toy, the drive belt gave out. You know by now I’m not a mechanic. How I wish I would have paid more attention when my Dad tried to show me how to fix things rather than shooting hoops and collecting baseball cards! Well, to make a three and a half hour long story short, I did manage to replace the drive belt and we’re back on the road again. 

Here’s my point. Sometimes you may feel like a broken down and worthless old mower. Does it ever seem like life is just one problem after another? Feel like nobody cares a thing for you? Maybe you think people look at you more like a bother than a brother or friend. Ever feel like if they hauled you off to the junk heap it would be a so-long and good riddance and don’t let the door hit you on the way out? 

If so, before you do anything else today, here’s what I want you to do: go get a Bible and read Psalm 31. The author, David, finds himself once again in a hopeless and dire situation. He’s a menace to his enemies, the contempt of his neighbors and a dread to his friends. Affliction, distress, sorrow, grief, anguish and weakness grip him like a vice. 

Does he cave in? Does he cower in fear? Does he wring his hands in despair? No, he lifts his heart to heaven because that’s his only hope. His deliverance and salvation come from Christ alone, and his cry for mercy reaches the ears of the Almighty, whose goodness and faithfulness and unfailing love are poured out upon those who fear Him. His trust is the Lord, and he finds Him to be his rock of refuge. You can too, dear friend.  

“Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord” (Psalm 31:24).    

No comments: