Translate

Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Smarter than my Dad"

“…and that’s the day I got smarter than my Dad,” Toby grinned as he talked with me about what he was going to tell his friends at school. Unfortunately, I could hardly disagree with him. 

After all, when he pointed out the nail in the front driver’s side tire, it really was a bonehead move for me to pull it out. And that against my 8-year-old’s counsel to leave it in. I’m not sure what I expected to happen. Maybe that it would not have actually pierced the inner tube or that perhaps it would not leak, miraculously. Hey, if Jesus can stop the wind from blowing on the sea, surely He could stop the air from leaking from my tire.

All I know is that nails do not belong in tires, and I wanted it gone. Of course, the hissing that immediately followed my blunder quickly deflated my pride and served as confirmation to Toby that he just got smarter than his Dad. 

At least I can still beat him in arm wrestling. Wish I could say the same about my 13-year-old. We usually end in a draw, but I should note that he always wants to take me on when my right arm is already physically exhausted from playing the guitar or writing newspaper articles or strenuous texting. I think they must be beefing him up in football. 

Speaking of football, the PORTA Junior High teams are doing well. If you missed the home games, you’ll have to travel to catch the last couple away, but it might be worth the trip. The 8th graders are undefeated (as of this writing) so far this year, having gone 8-0 last year. They have some great players on the team, but the coaches have really drilled the fundamentals of the game into them, taught them well, praised them enough but not too much, and have been tough on them when needed. Go watch a game and you’ll see how well they execute. 

Then, speaking of football (again), was last Friday night’s homecoming game not one of the most thrilling high school football games you’ve ever seen? Big plays, clutch catches, blocked kicks, fumble recovery, Manning-like offense for Auburn, an AP-like running game for the Bluejays, overtime, an extra point through the uprights for the win. You name it, this game had everything but defense as PORTA electrified the home crowd with a 56-55 overtime win. Great job, Bluejays! Go take down the Bullets this weekend!

The Springfield paper had a nice write-up of the game in Sunday’s Sports section. They reported Jesse Setzer carried for 359 rushing yards breaking the school record set in 1988 by Bart Jones. The article also noted the Auburn QB threw 7 touchdown passes – also a school record. I’m one of those guys who will watch a game and then want to read about it in the paper the next day. I even like box scores. Weird, huh?

Somebody ought to cover the football team for The Observer. Even if you get the news nearly a week later, I think people would be interested in reading about our high school sports, wouldn’t they? I would so do it, too, if I weren’t already busy messing with car tires and arm wrestling with my boys.

Amy might write this one up in her journal. I thought it would be good for the boys to learn how to change a tire, so I had them come out to the garage with me, to learn from the master. Space will thankfully spare me from embarrassing myself here, but let’s just say it didn’t go as well as I would have hoped. Big thanks to Bill Hodges for bailing me out! I probably should have had Toby walk me through it since he’s smarter than me.

Finally, a biker’s wave goes out to the guys who rode their motorcycles for Bike to Church Sunday last week! Even had one pedal in to church. Next step, we need to get a group together and ride! Just want to let everyone know, even bikers, there is room at the cross for all who turn in faith to Christ Jesus. Hope to see you Sunday!

No comments: