Translate

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Scrooged and Un-scrooged

I feel like a Scrooge. So sue me if I don’t really want to listen to Christmas songs on the radio 24/7 from now until Christmas Day. Forgive me if my desire to watch another Christmas special on TV hasn’t yet peaked, and may not register much above “eh.” And banish me to the island of misfit toys if I don’t give to every charity and bell-ringing organization in the world asking for my money.

I’m not against Christmas. I think the whole “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” thing was a pretty good idea. I mean, that is the reason we have Christmas in the first place, isn’t it? If it weren’t for Jesus there would be no Christmas. I think we ought to celebrate what happened when Jesus came from heaven to earth every single day by rejoicing in His grace and living for His glory.

I am, however, against too much Christmas. Commercial Christmas, that is. And remakes of beloved Christmas carols such as “O Holy Night” that sound like something out of an 80’s long-haired rock band. And sappy Hallmark-ish Christmas-y movies. And Christmas pageants and productions that glorify Santa but snub the Savior.

If we really want to capture “The Christmas Spirit” we need to seek the Christ whose Spirit fills our hearts with peace and joy and hope and goodness and kindness and love for one another. We need to think about the reason Jesus came in the first place, which was to bring salvation to mankind, because otherwise we’d be sunk dead in our sins with no hope of ever finding peace with God.

But Jesus offered His sinless life for us on the cross that we might be forgiven and made righteous in Him. This is the depth of God’s love for you, dear friend, that even while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. And not only did He come to save us from death and hell, but also to give abundant and everlasting life to whosoever believeth in Him. I think I remember reading that in a Book somewhere. Maybe you have, too.

Truly it is an amazing story. May I suggest that spending some quiet time reading through the first few chapters of Matthew and Luke in the Bible and allowing the story to captivate your heart might just lead you to the most joyous Christmas you’ve ever experienced?

Invest a few moments imaging yourself in the role of Mary or Joseph. What emotions must have engulfed Mary’s spirit when the angel came announcing such a mysterious, miraculous message? Why was she the one chosen by God to carry the King of kings in her womb and give birth to the Author of Life? How can this be, she wondered? No wonder she burst forth in song, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” (Luke 1:46-47).

And how did Joseph even begin to process what happened in his dreams? Could the long-awaited Messiah really be coming? Are the sacred prophecies truly beginning to unfold before my very eyes? Is my sweet Mary really to be the mother of my Savior? Which would make me His earthly father…? How shall I raise the Son of God?

The lights and the decorations and the trees and the sounds of the season are great (as are the gifts!), don’t get me wrong. And, yes, I even give some extra money to the Salvation Army. But in the midst of all the tinsel and garland let’s not forget the incredible story of our Savior who came from heaven to earth, to a little village called Bethlehem, then on to the hill called Calvary, then who rose up from the grave, appeared among men and ascended back into heaven where He is now seated at the right hand of His Father in glory, and will one day soon come again to receive those whose trust is in Him for salvation.

That’s a Christmas worth celebrating! Okay, I’m un-scrooged now.

No comments: