Translate

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

For my cleansing, this my plea


Here two women in a small village are doing their laundry the old-fashioned way. It’s the same way they plant and harvest their crops - by hand.

I had the opportunity to take an afternoon with our team to prayerwalk through this village. We were fascinated enough simply by their way of life. We were more profoundly fascinated by their need to know the Savior.

I recall seeing these women going about their daily business of washing their clothes, and I was led by the Lord to pray something along these lines: “Father, even as these women wash the dirt and stains from their clothing in this river, I pray that one day they will experience the cleansing touch of Jesus Christ who alone can wash away the dirt and stain of sin from their hearts by His blood.”

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

Oh! Precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

The Bible says that “without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness” (Heb. 9:22). Jesus testified before His disciples on the night of the Passover, the eve of His crucifixion, as He took the cup, gave thanks, and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (Mt. 26:27-28). And He went out and shed His own blood on the cross that we may be saved from the death wages of sin. “For my pardon this I see, nothing but the blood of Jesus. For my cleansing this my plea, nothing but the blood of Jesus.” I can’t think of a greater joy in all the world than to know that my sins have been forgiven!

I bow in awe before God who put His great love on display in sending His Son to die on the cross for sinful man. For it’s only in Christ that “we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace” (Eph. 1:7). And in our Savior who rose in triumph over the grave, we also know the hope of heaven, for “whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

This is what I pray these villagers will come to understand. I pray for the ones God will send to tell them of His love and give them the words of eternal life. May they find that “nothing can for sin atone, nothing but the blood of Jesus.”

No comments: