Translate

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Jesus in the Classroom




Perhaps one of the most ironic experiences of our two-week mission trip was the experience of telling the Good News of Jesus in the classroom. Not that we walked through the doors the first day and started handing out Bibles or preaching through John's gospel. But as we taught the students English, there were opportunities that arose to speak about our faith in Christ Jesus.

This indeed was what we had been praying for. Yes, we wanted to do a good job of teaching, and we were well-prepared for it. But more importantly we wanted to teach about the grace of God through Jesus our Savior.

Let me share a couple of experiences I had personally. One of my classes dealt with “Occupations.” I presented some job titles and basic work descriptions to the students to help them with their vocabulary. I also gave the students an opportunity to write what they would like to be. In the course of the conversation they asked what job I do.

As we taught the students through our lesson plans, each of us were encouraged to also consider ways in which we might engage the students to ask questions that we could answer with the opportunity of telling about Jesus, giving our testimony or sharing our faith. This was one such moment.

I replied that I am a teacher. I wasn’t sure if saying “Pastor” would have been appropriate in that setting, yet I didn’t want to close this open door. They followed up with questions about what I teach and where. Smile. The door was opening wider. I was then able to tell them that I didn’t teach in a school, but in a church. I also had to briefly describe what a church was. This wasn’t real easy. I had to talk about and gesture to communicate prayer and worship, trying to use their word for God. Since there are no (zero) churches in this area, most did not have any frame of reference for what a church is. Eventually I think they got the concept, at least conceptually.

Then I was able to tell them that I don’t teach a subject like math or science, but I teach people the Bible. I tried to explain that I teach about who God is and His plan for people all over the world. I introduced God’s Son to them and attempted to talk about Him, how He gives those who believe in Him peace and joy and salvation. I’m not sure how much they understood, but they will forever know that they heard this American tell them (for the first time) about Jesus.

Another open door came when one of the students asked what festivals we celebrate in America. I started with Christmas. Smile. This wasn’t the time to talk about Santa Claus and reindeer. I asked if they knew why we celebrate Christmas. No one responded. This allowed me the opportunity to again talk about Jesus as the reason for our festival. I attempted to communicate as clearly as I could with them about why Jesus came to earth and His purpose for dying on the cross. Some of them knew something vaguely about the cross. I even went so far as to try to explain what sin was – it actually became quite humorous trying to act out for them stealing and lying to enforce that point. Then I could share with them that Jesus came to forgive men for their sins and make us right with God, and so to live forever in heaven.

I’m only hoping and trusting that God will use whatever I said, whatever they heard, to draw them unto Himself. I made sure to write the name “Jesus” on the chalkboard so they could see and remember it. Maybe some of them wrote it down.

One other girl asked me once who my hero was. That one was easy. Smile again. I walked to the chalkboard and circled the name “Jesus” that was already written there. The best I could I tried to explain why Jesus was my hero. I hope they caught my heart even if they couldn’t catch my words.

In the opening paragraph I used the word “ironic” in describing this experience of telling two classes of 60-70 students each about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In America where the right to freedom of speech is our first Constitutionally amended right, if I were to speak about Jesus in a classroom here they way I did there, well, I wonder what might happen. Hopefully somebody would get saved. Smile!

The students were such a joy to teach, with eager minds and respectful, attentive attitudes. I walked into the class for the very first time to a loud round of applause. They were genuinely thrilled to have a foreigner in their classroom. They showed courtesy and kindness to each of our team, and showered us with gifts in appreciation. My heart’s desire is that others will come behind us, watering where we planted, nurturing the seed until it blossoms in the hearts of these precious young men and women. And perhaps they will be the generation that carries the light of the gospel of Christ Jesus back to their homes and villages and throughout their country, and maybe, into the still unreached uttermost parts of the world.

No comments: