Translate

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Following the Way

It hardly seems possible that baseball season is coming right up. I’m still enjoying March Madness! I think “madness” might be the right word, not for describing the upsets and thrills the basketball tournament brings, but rather for defining the emotional energy and investment fans pour into their teams. I’m sure my family thinks I’m mad in March.

And then you go right into baseball. The NCAA championship game will not have even tipped off before Adam Wainwright takes the hill for the Cardinals on Opening Day next Monday. The next thing you know we’re into T-ball and Khoury League – and then the summer’s almost over and school’s back in session!

I was thinking this morning about my son Tyler’s team from last year. One of his games was played at Carrier Mills. I don’t know much about the town of Carrier Mills. I know how to get there. I didn’t know where the baseball field was, however.

I knew Carrier Mills was a small town. How hard could it be to find a baseball field in a small town? So we drove to Carrier Mills and I thought maybe I’d see a sign with an arrow pointing to the park or something. It wasn’t the first time I’ve been wrong. I thought surely if I drove around a couple of blocks I’d find it pretty easily. Like I said, I’ve been wrong before, and it probably won’t be the last time.

Finally as we enjoyed the scenic route through the streets of Carrier Mills we saw the coach’s family vehicle making a turn. I quickly pulled in behind them and followed them directly to the ball fields. My wife was thinking maybe we should have followed them to begin with. I guess the scenic route didn’t do much for her. I didn’t want to be the one to let down the entire male global population and admit that I needed directions.

Yes, men, sometimes we need help to find our way. We can waste much time and burn much energy and frustrate ourselves and those around us by taking the “scenic route.” Sometimes we need to follow someone who knows where he is going.

In life’s journey – the road each of us must travel – if we ever want to make it to the destination of heaven, we need help to find our way. We will waste our precious time and burn our greatest energies by going our own way. We will find ourselves wandering aimlessly around, looking for fulfillment and meaning but never truly finding it if we think we can make it there on our own. And we will one day discover that the road we’re on is not the Road to the Final Four, but the “broad road that leads to destruction” (Mt. 7:13).

We need to follow the One who not only knows the way, but who is the Way. Jesus declared in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” Friend, this is an invitation for you to come and follow after the only One who will get you where you want to go. It is not the road of fame or fortune. It is not the way of comfort and ease. It will not earn you the applause of men nor the wealth of the world. But it leads to eternal life!

The invitation is open to anyone. Whosoever will may come. But you must come on God’s terms. That means a life devoted to following Jesus. And a life devoted to following Jesus means a life of rejection, suffering, and maybe even death. Jesus says to all: “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it” (Luke 9:23-24).

Are you trying desperately to find your way in life, but coming up empty? I’m not asking you to follow a religion or a set of rules. I’m pleading with you to follow the Son of God – Jesus! I’m asking you to turn away from sin and all of your self-efforts to be good enough, and to trust in Jesus and follow Him. I’m asking you to “Enter through the narrow gate…for the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few” (Mt. 7:13-14).

I might still be driving around Carrier Mills today if I didn’t turn and follow the Coach, and have missed the game. Don’t miss out on life. Turn and follow Jesus!


No comments: