Translate

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Risen from the Dead!

If not for the resurrection of Jesus, all hope would be in vain. If not for the resurrection of Jesus, all faith would be empty. If not for the resurrection of Jesus, all labor in the Lord would be worthless.

The message that we declare hinges on the truth of Jesus’ resurrection from the dead. Our only hope of eternal life in heaven rests on the fact that Jesus rose from the tomb on the third day. Those who follow Jesus put all of their eggs in this one basket. We’re investing everything we have, we’re mortgaging the house, we’re banking on this one thing: Jesus lives today and forever.

It seems many religious people want to diversify their spiritual accounts. They believe a little of this brand of Christian faith, they follow a particularly likeable teaching from an eastern religion, they buy into a percentage of new age philosophy, and leave a little room for whatever else tickles their ears. Such investments will depreciate faster than your 401(k) and leave you with absolutely nothing.

Investing your life in Jesus will pay greater rewards than anything this world could even think about offering you. The greatest riches in this life, the most magnificent mansions overlooking the ocean, the Armani suits and Italian shoes, the finest wines and the most luxurious yacht in the harbor will all pale like debris compared to the glories of dwelling in the presence of God.

The promise of heaven is as real as the air you’re breathing. This is no ponzi scheme. It’s not some multi-level marketing gimmick nor is it pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking for dreamers who lack perspective.

The reward is dwelling for eternity in the very presence of the One who loved us and gave Himself for us! Jesus says, “Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go there to prepare a place for you, and if I go and prepare a place for you I will come again and receive you to myself, that where I am there you may be also. You know the way to the place where I am going” (John 14:1-4).

One of His disciples spoke up and said, “We don’t know where you’re going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus answered him by saying, “I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). Do you hear that message, friend? There’s one way and one way only. It’s Jesus!

Jesus endured the suffering and humiliation of the cross. He received the painful scourging at the hands of Roman soldiers and wore the crown of thorns they placed on His head in mockery. He took their taunts and spits and insults. He let them drive the nails into His hands and feet upon that wooden beam. He bled and He died for the sins of man.

Jesus, the righteous one, took the place of you and me, the unrighteous, that we might be forgiven for our sins and be saved. He bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live for righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed (1 Peter 2:24).

But death could not contain Him. Jesus was “delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God…crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was impossible for him to be held by it” (Acts 2:23-24). Are you trusting in and following the Risen One?

“I serve a risen Savior, He’s in the world today; I know that He is living, whatever men may say; I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer, And just the time I need Him, He’s always near. He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks we me along life’s narrow way. He lives, He lives, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives: He lives within my heart.”

No comments: