Translate

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

...and a Happy New Year

Yes, we got the puppy. And, yes, the look on the boys’ faces when they realized he was ours was priceless. There are a couple of pictures on Facebook if you’d like to look me up and see.

And no, when I dashed to the window early Christmas morning to see if there was a Harley Davidson parked in the driveway with a huge orange and black bow tied to it, I was again this year disappointed. I did end up with a blue PORTA hoodie, so I guess I’m an official Blue Jays fan. Can’t wait to see some high school basketball this winter.

I have to admit, the puppy is really cute. A little whiny, but it’s a sweet whine. He just likes to be with people and needs lots of love. Who doesn’t? I think the Hollidays spoiled him and his siblings from the day they were born. Nothing wrong with that at all.

And while I’ve been the one getting up when he needs to go out at night, I also have to admit that our boys have handled much of the responsibility of caring for him. They’ve helped clean up messes, played outside in the cold and loved on him right away. It’s been a great connection for man and dog. And fun for Dad to watch them together.

Toby’s trying to teach him how to dance. Tyler can’t wait for him to learn to catch Frisbees. Amy’s a sucker for his charm, and I’m gathering as many sermon illustrations as possible. In fact I should probably forewarn you that my Sunday morning preaching may contain an abnormally high number of pet references. Which is probably welcome relief from those who think I use too many sports illustrations.

After two days of animated household debate, we finally came up with a name: Nicolas. Being a Christmas gift we made the connection with jolly old St. Nicolas. Toby had long had in mind to name his dog “Max,” but apparently he imagined a brown dog, and since ours is blonde “Max” just didn’t work. My suggestion of “Tebow” didn’t fly, but after he threw four interceptions Sunday it’s probably for the best.

It’s been a good Christmas.

And speaking of good Christmas, I have to say we had a great week of church. Last Wednesday we sent three groups of carolers out in the community to deliver some Christmas joy in song. As usual for such things, I’m not sure whether the greater blessing belonged to those whom we visited or us.

On Saturday we gathered together for a special Christmas Eve candlelight service. Christmas morning brought us back to praise and worship the One without whom there would be no Christmas, no reason for hope of greater things to come, no lasting joy, no perfect peace and no life filled with abundance and assurance of heaven. Jesus is the not the main reason for celebrating Christmas; He’s the only reason.

Let me also say to all the guests who’ve worshipped with us this week – thank you for joining us! It’s always a delight to welcome any and all who want to come. I hope you experienced something of the love of Christ and the joy of Christian fellowship. And I pray that the message of “good news of great joy that will be for all the people” resonates deeply in your heart.

Indeed, Jesus is the Savior of the world who came to save us from our sins and save us to eternal life. And “whosoever will” may come to Him. So come, walk away from everything else and follow Jesus wholeheartedly. Maybe your life’s not a Christmas wonderland postcard, but when you come to Jesus He’ll make you a new creation and give you new life.

It’s always a good Christmas when Christ is your life. Hope to see you New Year’s Day to worship the One who makes all things new!

No comments: