Translate

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Greatest Gift Forever

By the time you read this [scheduled to be printed in this week's Petersburg Observer which comes out Wednesday evening...so don't say anything about the following if you read this beforehand!!!] my wife and I will have probably picked up a puppy for our two boys for Christmas. It’s going to be their best Christmas present ever! And it may be the end of my world as I know it. I think I’ve finally lost my mind.

They’ve been asking for a long time. I mean years. Up till now I’ve always stood firm against their sugary pleas and shameless begging. Like a certain American Idol judge refusing to be swayed by the sensitive tears of the newest teen sensation wannabe whose story of rising from the projects to the primetime stage melts the hearts of America. Or the middle-aged guy who never really grew up and got a real job because he always dreamed of being a star. Who cares if they can’t even sing? But I digress.

Our youngest, Toby, has these really big puppy-dog eyes. He’s hard to resist. He knows how to turn on the charm. Parents, keep your girls away or he’ll break their hearts.

And Tyler’s so logical and calculated. He has a counter-argument for every reason I’ve said no (and there are many of them). He could probably create a spreadsheet detailing the advantages of why a boy needs a dog.

Of course, they’ve both made all kinds of promises about how they’ll do all the work in taking care of a puppy. This from one who forgot to wear his glasses to school yesterday, and from the other who spilled his Sunny-D all over the breakfast table just this morning!

I have a feeling I know who will end up taking the dog out in the rain, scooping up poop all over the yard and getting yelled at by the neighbors when he barks up a storm. If I may, allow me to apologize in advance for whatever nuisance we’re about to stir up on Sunny Acres Rd. While I’m at it, maybe I should also apologize to Toby’s teacher, Mrs. Hance, and to Tyler’s 6th grade teachers for any lack of attention the boys may display due to thinking about their new puppy.

But it’s Christmas. And while I realize the weight of responsibility (and financial obligation) involved in pet ownership, as a father I want to give this gift to my children. I can’t wait to see the look on their faces when we bring home the puppy!

I’m excited for them about playing with their new friend, growing up together and creating lifelong memories. I’m anxious to watch them running and chasing and jumping around in the yard. I’m looking forward to hearing their laughter and squeals of delight. I’m eager to see the bonds of companionship and friendship dig deep roots.

I know they’re going to absolutely love it. And I’m going to love providing a little extra joy in their lives.

When you think about it, isn’t that something like the gift of God which we celebrate at Christmas? Our heavenly Father loves His children immeasurably more than I love my own boys. His love is perfect, unfailing, undeserved and unending. He delights in delighting His people with the joy and fellowship of experiencing a personal relationship with Him.

To demonstrate such love, God gave His one and only Son, so that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life. He didn’t have to do it, but He did. To show us His love, to give us joy, to bring us peace and to save us from our sins. “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23).

A puppy will be a great gift for our family. But the best gift ever is not a furry, four-legged friend. It’s a merciful and gracious Savior whose name is Jesus. Receive the gift of life in Christ Jesus today. It’ll be your best gift forever. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must call him Max. ;)