Translate

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Exploring the Character of God

What’s your perception of God? It seems everyone has some opinion. Some think of Him as a frustrated and angry God just waiting for someone to step out of line so he can zap the miscreant with a bolt of lightning. Others view God as an older grandfatherly type who doesn’t want to bother anyone, who thinks it’s great when people decide to show up at his house, but understands if you can’t make it. And, of course, some just don’t think of God at all. It’s easier to live life the way they want to live it if they can find a way to try to shut God out of the picture altogether. 

But opinions are cheap. They’re worthless, really, if not grounded in truth. If, in my opinion, I think water ought to boil at 211 degrees and freeze at 33, my opinion means nothing. I’m only showing myself to be ignorant and foolish for rejecting the truth and believing a lie. Truth triumphs over my opinion.

So it is with our understanding of God. The truth about God according to the Bible trumps every opinion we can come up with. The existence of God, or the character, nature and attributes of God are not up for debate. And the sooner we come to grips with the God of the Bible, the better.

The psalmist says of Him: “For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land” (Psalm 95:3-5).

Upon the Lord’s deliverance of the people of Israel out of Egypt and through the Red Sea, Moses and the Israelites sang this song: “Your right hand, O Lord, was majestic in power. Your right hand, O Lord, shattered the enemy. In the greatness of your majesty you threw down those who opposed you. You unleashed your burning anger; it consumed them like stubble…Who among the gods is like you, O Lord? Who is like you – majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?” (Exodus 15:6-7, 11). 

When David was rescued by the Lord from the hand of Saul, he burst forth in praise: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior – from violent men you save me. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies” (2 Samuel 22:2-4).

When Jesus asked His followers who they thought He was, Peter exclaimed, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16). And the mighty King of kings, the One who is the true God in the flesh, affirmed Peter’s great confession of faith.

If only we understood more about the holiness of God. If only we learned more of His greatness and majesty. If only we could grasp something of His glory. If only we realized His goodness and mercy, His righteousness and justice, His love and faithfulness and wisdom and grace.

How quickly we would see our sin and our utter unworthiness to stand before Him. How quickly we would seek the salvation that He offers in Christ Jesus and run to Him for mercy. How quickly we would offer our lives in joyful obedience to His will. How quickly we would want to please Him by living in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ Jesus. And how quickly we would find in Him richer blessings of joy, peace, hope, satisfaction and purpose in life beyond anything we’ve ever known.

Let me invite you to join us at the First Baptist Church in Petersburg for Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. over the next several weeks as we explore the character of God, and allow the Almighty to reveal Himself in truth as we seek Him in His Word.

No comments: