Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

Random Day Celebration

I’m unofficially designating today as Random Day. Actually, many of my days are pretty random, as are many of my thoughts. So why don’t we spend the next few moments together in this column celebrating Random Day?   

First Random Day topic: Community Block Party. Can I just say a big “Thank you!” to everyone who came last Friday night? We had a great time and hope you enjoyed the event. We had nearly 60 volunteers from the church serving in various ways, and I am blessed to pastor such a giving group of believers. There would be so many people to thank for going above and beyond that I would be afraid of leaving someone out if I began naming names. So let me again say how grateful I am for all your help.

I would, however, be remiss if I failed to give a shout out to Ray, Cindy and Bob – the New Jerusalem Singers – for blessing us with great gospel songs throughout the evening. I need to also give a word of thanks to Bob and Sarah Jane Swaar for providing the train rides. You are two of the most pleasant and patient people I’ve ever met. 

And to all who came whether by yourself or with your family, we are so glad you were there! I hope you sensed the grace of God and His joyous presence among us. If you don’t attend church regularly, let me invite you to come and be our guest this Sunday morning. We would love to welcome you.

Random Day topic No. 2: Father’s Day. I was happy to recognize so many men in church this past Sunday for Father’s Day. Guys, you have the responsibility to lead your families in the ways of the Lord. Thanks for taking that lead by making worship a priority in your life, and I trust that each and every day you’ll set the pace by investing time in the Word of God and prayer, by living a life of integrity and by showing this confused world what it means to be a true man of God. I’m praying for you, men. Stand strong!

Random Day topic No. 3: The deal to free U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in exchange for the release of five of the Taliban’s top operatives from Guantanamo Bay prison. Wait, that’s old news now. Nevermind.

Random Day topic No. 4: Benghazi. Wait, that’s old news, too. Isn’t it? What about the IRS scandal, Obamacare or the VA nightmare? Eh, not today.

Random Day topic No. 5: The World Cup. Does anyone around here even follow hockey? Just kidding. I don’t personally have any interest in the Stanley Cup, either.

Random Day topic No. 6: Vacation Bible School. Parents, mark your calendar for the week of July 20-24 for the First Baptist Church’s VBS. This year’s “Agency D3” theme will invite children to come discover, decide and defend the truth about who Jesus really is. Those who have finished Pre-K through completion of 6th grade are welcome.

Random Day topic No. 7: Leviticus. I’ve just re-read the book of Leviticus. It’s in the Bible. There’s probably a reason we don’t spend a lot of time reading through Leviticus. Allow me to sum up the main theme for you, in case you haven’t taken the time to read it, or just don’t really want to. God is holy, and He demands holiness from His people. That kind of personal holiness may have looked differently to the people of Israel than the way we’d apply it to ourselves today, but the truth remains. Because God is holy, we must likewise deal with our sin and strive for to live holy lives in Christ.

The bad news is that we can’t do it on our own – believe me, I’ve tried, and can’t. But the Good News is that Jesus came to take away our sins once for all time when He offered Himself on the cross as a sacrifice for sin, and He is in the business of making holy those who come to Him through faith. And He certainly does the job well, if we’ll trust Him to do it for us. There’s nothing random about the way God works. 

No comments: