Translate

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Loving October












October is quickly coming to an end. I'm sad to see it go.

I've always loved the month of October. For one thing, my birthday falls during this month, though now that my youngest son's birthday is only two days apart from mine, guess who's gets lost in the shuffle? I'm okay with that.

The changing of the colors makes this a beautiful time of the year. I enjoy the crisp coolness in the air. Take a drive around southern Illinois in the fall and you can't miss the beauty of God's creation nor the wisdom of the seasons.

Football's in full gear. The World Series is in swing. Basketball's getting warmed up to take the court. Monopoly's playing at McDonald's. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

But I have had an added reason to love October since I've become a pastor: Pastor Appreciation Month. I don't know what other churches do for their pastors, but I wouldn't trade what Ridgway does for me for anything. Daily when I come into the church office in the morning, someone has left a surprise gift. Yes, I said daily. Here's a short list of some treats left by an unknown giver(s):

  • Angel food cake
  • Snack basket containing Cokes, Sprites, M&M's, chocolates, crackers, Rice Krispie treat and some kind of deviled-egg chocolate thing
  • A bag of Snickers candy bars
  • Edy's Double Fudge Brownie ice cream
  • Gift cards to Starbucks, McDonald's, Cracker Barrel and Mimmo's Pizza
  • Books - lots of books
  • Dental floss
  • Medicated chest rub
  • Post-it Notes
  • Pen and bookmark set
  • A very nice tie from the Glory Beams Sunday School class
  • A Vidal Sassoon personal grooming kit from the Naomi & Ruth Sunday School class - don't ask, it's a long story
  • and, maybe my favorite, well, besides the ice cream - a "Have a Super Day" paperweight that plays the "Superman" theme when you press the button

Pretty amazing stuff. God has blessed me through this church beyond abundant. How can I say thanks? It's the kind of stuff grace is made of. You know I'm loving it!

No comments: