Translate

Thursday, October 30, 2008

One Thing, Three Ways

I have one thing on my mind this morning – one passion, one purpose, one prayer: that the name of God would be exalted and glorified as His kingdom comes and His will is done. That’s not too much to ask, is it?

There are three ways in which I have a pressing desire to see His glory magnified. In no certain order, one is in regards to the leadership and direction of this country. Unless you’ve been hiding out in a cave somewhere for the past two years, you are well aware of the fact that next Tuesday, Nov. 4, is Election Day. I’d be willing to bet you’re also about as ready for all of the campaigning and political ads and mudslinging to just go away.

I want to ask you this: are you seeking the Father’s will in regard to who you will vote for next week? Do you want God to be glorified in your choice for President? For Congress? For court benches? Do you want leaders who will follow the paths of righteousness and justice according to the Word of God? “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:34). God is glorified when men delight in seeking His face and following His ways.

Let me urge you to do your homework before stepping into the voting booth. Please do not merely punch the party ticket you’ve always punched. Know where each candidate stands and what each stands for. And by the way, although either John McCain or Barack Obama will certainly win the presidential election, there are other candidates on the ballot that you might want to check out if you don’t care for either of these.

In any case, the Bible does command us to pray for our leaders. “First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:1-4).

The second way in which I want to see God’s glory displayed is in the keeping of the covenant of marriage. I know I’ve been on this horse for a long time, but I’m staying on as long as I continue to see marriages crumble and as long as the fight to redefine marriage in this country rages on.

To any who question God’s design for marriage, I defer to Jesus’ answer to the Pharisees: “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate” (Matthew 19:4-6). God is glorified as His will, His design, His purpose for marriage is held in honor by all.

With that said, let me invite you to a “Marriage Check-up Seminar” on Saturday, Nov. 8, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. It will be held at the Saline Baptist Association Center, 3890 Highway 145 South, about five miles south of Harrisburg. Grant and Jennifer Medford of Springfield, IL, will lead the seminar. Grant is the Director of Student and Family Ministries with the Illinois Baptist State Association. There is no cost to you for this event, and a noon lunch will also be provided. I’ll say that again in case you didn’t hear it: This is a FREE seminar that will help your marriage! My wife and I are planning to go, and I would encourage any couple who wants to come to pre-register now by calling 618-252-1440.


Okay, third and final thing for now. I want to see the name of our Lord hallowed among our young people. I know things aren’t like they used to be even %& years ago when I was in school. The things that compete for the attention and affections of our youth today are relentless and reckless. Students are bombarded with more ungodliness and temptations to sin in more accessible and culturally acceptable ways than ever before.

I’m praying and asking you to pray fervently for God’s glory to shine through the lives of our youth as His kingdom comes and His will is done in them and through them. What a spiritual awakening would we see in this county and beyond if the light of Christ Jesus begins to burn brightly in the hearts and lives of our students! Come, Holy Spirit, come!


No comments: