Translate

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Living Better

I’m not a guy who likes to do much shopping. Seriously, shopping for groceries or household stuff is tough enough, but even when I’m looking for something I want I don’t like to shop. I spent an hour browsing around LifeWay Christian Stores the other day looking at books, Bibles and gifts. But when I walked out I was lamenting how much time I wasted.

And to shop for gifts for others – let’s just say you don’t want to hire me to do your Christmas shopping. Once upon a time many moons ago I purchased a department store gift card for my wife’s birthday. Thankfully I lived to tell about it and warn others of the dangers of such foolishness.

Recently with some birthday money I went to the new wide-aisled, well-known local mecca of low prices that bills itself as the place where you will “Save money” and “Live better.” Maybe I should have stayed home and saved my money and lived better.

Anyway, I bought a pair of blue jeans and a black sweater. When I arrived home to put the jeans in the closet and the sweater in the drawer, what do you suppose I did with my other jeans and other shirts?


A. Nothing.
B. Toss them all in the Goodwill pile.
C. Think briefly about getting rid of at least one pair of jeans that are holey.
D. Rejoice that I saved money and now I’m living better.

If you answered “A,” the million’s just 14 questions away. You probably didn’t even need to use a lifeline. My same old jeans are still sitting on the same shelf in the same closet as my new jeans. My same old shirts are still folded up in the same drawer as my new one. I added on to my wardrobe, but I didn’t get rid of one thing.

Here comes the point. There are many people who think they can add Jesus on the same way. They like what He says He can do for them, especially the whole thing about heaven and all. I’m mean, who wants to go to hell? But receiving Jesus is not at all like buying a new pair of pants. You can not simply add Jesus on to your life and keep all the old stuff, too. He’s not interested in occupying a spot on the same shelf in the same closet of your heart as all of your old ways.

The Bible says it this way: “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity” (2 Timothy 2:19). To receive Jesus as your Savior and confess Him as Lord is to turn away from sin. To believe in Jesus is to “put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:24), and it’s also to “put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to deceitful lusts” (Ephesians 4:22).

If Jesus is truly your Lord, then you will want to obey His word. You will want to please Him in every way. You will want to “flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart” (2 Timothy 2:22).

If Jesus is truly the Lord of your life then you’ll want nothing to do with the old, sinful ways in which you used to live – or may still be trying to live. You’ll have a disdain for everything that even hints of evil and wickedness. You will hate the things God hates, such as dishonest gain, the wrongdoing of others, the worthless idols others cling to, the faithless deeds of men, pride, arrogance, evil behavior, perverse speech, all that is false, robbery and iniquity, worshipping false gods, injustice, unrighteousness, worthless religious festivals, plotting evil against your neighbor, swearing falsely, divorce, violence, false teachings and every wrong path.

Friend, I urge you to come to Jesus, for indeed it by grace through faith in Him you are saved. Eternal life in heaven is the gift of God, while hell is real for those who persist in sin and unbelief. But please know that you cannot just add Jesus on to your old wardrobe. Get rid of all things sinful and keep fleeing those old lusts – and keep pursuing all things Christ. That’s what “living better” is all about.


No comments: